CHINA MOBILE AS A MODEM

Recently, a friend of mine ask me to test Internet connection using China brand Mobilephone (on celcom 3G carrier) as a modem. So if you are interested in this matter, please continue reading:

China Brand Mobile Phone ( after this will be referred as CBMP throughout the post), can be used as a modem either by using USB cable or using Bluetooth DUN connections.

1# I tried to use the phone using a USB cable using driver and software (
http://mt6227-driver.blogspot.com). Please bear in mind that CBMP used as a modem linked by USB cable got no official support from the manufacturer. Therefore if you try to do this, no guarantee that it will work and if anything happen to your phone (minimal risk if ever present), please dont blame me or the manufacturer. Do this at your own risk.. However the interesting point I want to share here is that I already tested it and the connections was failed. Eventhough after I Installed all the relevent driver and software, my Windows XP SP2 still failed to communicate with the modem (It was detected though as MTK GPRS Phone)

2# I tried to use Bluetooth DUN connections, and the connection was successfull. Just pair your phone with your computer, and once DUN`s driver is installed, you are ready to go.. Pls refer screenshots below:













The last screenshot shows 115.2Kbps which the maximum bandwith speed available for this china mobile phone (for actual speed, I recommend speedtest.net as a third party bandwidth tester) .

If your connection failed, go to control panel>phone and modem>Modem>highlight Bluetooth DUN Modem and select properties>Diagnostic>Query Modem. Once your query modem success, select advance and under the extra intialization command box key in: +cgdcont=1,"ip","celcom3g". Press OK twice to get back to the control panel window and try again to do the connection.

Comments (1)

It agree, a useful idea

About Me

My photo
I blogged from an iOS device.. :) no preferred subjects. A lil' bit of technology, a lil' bit of amateur photography.. But mostly it all centered around my daily life.

Search This Blog

Visitors

Followers